Share this post
Sarah had thoughtfully baked us some of her delicious Banana, Macadamia Nut and Chocolate Loaf and is happy for us to spread the love!
Banana, Macadamia Nut and Chocolate Loaf
Ingredients (Serves approx 10)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (the riper and larger, the better)
190g self raising flour
100g of Macadamia nuts (you could use walnuts or hazelnuts)
- 100g Milk or dark chocolate (white chocolate doesn’t work very well in this recipe)
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. Melt butter, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat.
Roughly chop 50g of the nuts with a knife and 50g of the chocolate.
- Remove from heat and add the mashed bananas, mix well.
- Add the egg, mix well.
- Stir in the flour and the milk.
Add the chopped nuts and chocolate, fold through quickly – the chocolate will start to melt instantly.
- Pour into the prepared tin.
Bake at 170 C / Fan 150 C / Gas 3 for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. If not cooked through, keep checking every 5-10 mins.
Leave in tin to cool.
When cool, rough chop the remaining nuts and toast under the grill until light brown. They will burn very easily, so watch them like a hawk!
Melt the remaining chocolate and drizzle most of it over the top of the cake. I usually do this on a cooling rack so that they excess chocolate doesn’t pool at the sides of the cake.
Sprinkle the toasted nuts on top, then finish by drizzling the last of the chocolate here and there over the nuts. Keep in an airtight box, best eaten within two days.
Share this post